Thursday, May 28, 2009

HOLDING STEADY


My weight is holding steady. I have purchased some new foods which I think will be more satisfying and help keep my calories lower.


I saw an interesting story about weight loss and the slower metabolism which takes over at my age.


First was to add intervals to workouts - which I realize I had been doing in the past, but have let down on in my efforts to up my resistance. So I will concentrate on adding the intervals back.


Go slow on the weight lifting to break down more muscle fiber which then takes more energy to rebuild.


Take fish oil. Makes me nauseous, but I do.


Drink ice water! Weird - but I already do. It is supposed to increase metabolism to warm it to body temp.


Eat breakfast which I do.


Drink coffee - I drink tea. But it is about the caffeine. Also drink green tea, which I have now added to my iced tea pitcher.


Protein at lunch. Eat salmon. Duh.


Don't drink alcohol - it slows metabolism for 72 hours. Damn.

3 comments:

shrink on the couch said...

Recently read Bob Greene's old book, Make the Connection. Thought about how much new, up-to-date info comes out every few years. Interval training being one. I've been doing this on the eliptical at the gym (not nearly as often as I need to, see comment on previous post). It's one of those pieces of advice that is welcome - the workout is made a bit easier with the slow down (if I'm even doing it correctly).

As for ice water, it's a relief to hear. I had read, I don't know how long ago, that ice water sped up the rate of food emptying from the stomach, making one hungrier sooner. So I stopped ice water at dinner for a couple months. Noticed nothing different. Still hungry for snacks post dinner.

And the alcohol part? Damn is right. That really bites.

Fantastic Forrest said...

There are burpless fish oil caplets and peppermint fish oil caplets - see if those help the nausea.

It sounds like you have a great plan and set of behaviors. You might think about joining HASAY (Half As Small As You) a fun blogger's fitness group. I find it helps me to get support from a community of women. Check out http://halfasgoodasyou.com/?p=1530 and join the fun. :)

mkosboth said...

Wandered here from your other blog! And obviously I am just catching up to who you are and what you are doing. I applaud you for working on being healthy! I am not happy about the "alcohol suppresses your metabolism" comment. I like my glass of wine with dinner! I am not morbidly obese, as you describe yourself, but am probably considered on the cusp of obese given I am 5'4" and weigh 186 lbs give or take. That is 20lbs down from where I was when I had my son 3 years ago. I am 45 and that weight does not come off easily as you well know. I need to lose another 20lbs to feel like I am in a really healthy range, and won't even think about the other 20 I should lose after that. Keep up the good work and know you are not alone out there.