Wednesday, August 18, 2010

KNEE CLASS

Just a quick post about my OA knee class today.  I learned a few things and have some new exercises and stretches to add to my routine.  The others in the class seem to be affected in only 1 knee, but 2 were more hampered by their pain and one is a trainer and spin instructor who just keeps going through her day and is in pain at night when she stops.  So I feel lucky that mine has become more work-out related with occasional flare ups and aches at night.

Anyway, my big question was: do I keep doing things if they hurt?  The physical therapist said if the pain stays at about a 3-4 and doesn't get worse, then it is okay.  So I can do most of my old routine at that level - just keep going through the discomfort.

I also realized that I am getting more of my range of motion back, so the exercises are working.  Hurray.

I have also been using the stationary bike which I find boring, but if I bring my book the time goes by pretty fast.  I put the book down every so often and do a speed interval.  I have been keeping my heart rate up in the fat burning range even while I am reading - which came as a surprise that I wasn't bouncing around too much to focus!

So for the time being I will avoid the water classes.  I can get over being the youngest in the class by 20 years or so,  I just don't want to deal with getting wet and showering and all that rigmarole.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I have no expertise so can offer no official and safe advice. But I will share what I was told when I was doing my shoulder rehab: that there is a difference between pain of effort and lack of use and pain that is bad, and, that if the pain lasts more than two hours past the exercises, it is not good to do whatever movement caused it. Good luck!

Tami@NutmegNotebook said...

Wishing you well with the knee pain. I know that since I have lost weight my knees feel so much better.