Monday, August 23, 2010

SIZE ALWAYS MATTERS

Reading the nutrition labels is something I have done for a long time.  Looking for the sugars, the types of fat, the protein and the whole grains all in turn depending on whether I am concerned about weight or bulking up my picky daughter's nutrition.  I have long known to check out the serving sizes in relation to the calorie counts.  That has save me from many a foolish purchase!

I have been entering my recipes into a program which gives me the nutritional analysis and calorie counts and I have realized that I need to pay more attention to those serving sizes.  Especially for side dishes.  For example, I made a dish the other night which called for 2 pounds of Swiss chard.  So the fact that it was  4 servings seemed fine - until I saw what it looked like when it was cooked...it was minuscule.  If I placed 1 serving on my husband's plate he would wonder why I was giving him serving like those chi-chi restaurants! 

He doesn't care about how many servings his dinner actually is, but I certainly do - so this was a good lesson for me because a serving is 147 calories - now double that!

4 comments:

Karen said...

I admit that I am not good about serving sizes but with veggies, I don't pay attention at all. Probably this comes from my old Weight Watchers days when they were a zero points food. And on my current plan my problem would be getting enough in each day. For lunch today I ate a whole bag of frozen green beans all by myself, roasted. Yep, I feel a bit like a pig when I do that but I figure it is good for me and filling and beats the alternative of whatever else I might be eating!

Lori R. said...

Thanks Susan for this blog. This is the first time that I have been here. I decided to hire a personal trainer when I started out last week because at 54 I didn't want to hurt myself doing the wrong thing with weights. ANYWAY... she said the way to improve your results is to mix up your workouts. So each week, she stirs things up with what I am doing. Maybe this could help you get back to losing at a steady rate. No matter what, give yourself a huge round of applause for the weight you have lost and the determination you have in not only eating healthy but serving your family healthy food too. ♥

Tami@NutmegNotebook said...

You are so right! I was just having this same conversation with my hubby. He wants to lose some weight but he eats too big of portions or has seconds!

shrink on the couch said...

I get really irritated with the serving size info. Saves many a foolish purchase is right. The corporate giants are going to figure out ways to dupe the public, whatever it takes to make the stock holders wet their portfolios.