Friday, August 13, 2010

WISHFUL THINKING

I don't think I am alone in occasionally indulging in wishful thinking.  I have done this since I was a kid.  Something about Samantha Stevens on Bewitched wiggling her nose and being able to make things happen was very appealing and I spent time thinking about all the things I would like to change that easily.

In the past few months I have been thinking about how I want to go back to before my knees started to hurt.  It has just put such a damper on my enthusiasm for exercise. 

It's ironic, too.  Most people with my family history of osteoarthritis and knee replacements have knee pain and so they exercise and diet to relieve the pain.  I was pain free until I started to diet and exercise in earnest.  Add that to your song,  Alanis Morrisette.

Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that continuing to lose weight and exercise will help the pain and ease the symptoms and put off the surgery.  The knee already takes on a force of 3 to 6 times our body weight with each step while walking!  So reducing the amount of weight it is bearing is the best thing that can be done to help it!

I am going to a "knee class" next week, I have given in and changed up my gym routine to include what I find more boring, but less painful. 

5 comments:

Karen@WaistingTime said...

I've had that same Alanis thought - before I exercised I had not feet problems, no torn muscles, etc. Sigh.

Tami said...

I can relate to the knee pain. Mine started when I gained 20 pounds. Since I have lost 19.3 of that 20 and am back to walking and working out my knee pain is much better.

There was a phase when I first started walking 3 miles daily where I had joint pain and aches in general. I am happy to report that those things have mostly gone away.

On Mayo clinic it says that for every 1 pound of extra weight we carry it creates 4 pounds of pressure on the joints!

Ca88andra said...

Knee pain is not fun! I guess the only thing is to change to non weight bearing exercise. Have you tried swimming?

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Is there a chance you can get into water workouts? Those are supposed to be great for people with joint pain.

Siobhan said...

I'm the queen of wishful thinking ... for a long time I thought that if I really Wanted to lose weight I would, just because I wanted too. Most of my knee pain has gone away since I've lost weight and no osteoarthritis yet (although I'm sure it's coming).