Sunday, September 19, 2010

THE SELF ESTEEM DIET

I have been feeling guilty for not writing more here.  I have been working a lot, the training process for my new job seems to be long and slow and I have been stressed and tired because of it.  I have actually had time to write.  I have just  been out of sorts and I have been overeating and not understanding why.

Tonight I was looking around and found an article on self-esteem.  Normally I do not feel I suffer from self-esteem issues.  Most of the things mentioned in the story don't apply to me.  I can accept compliments, I have a positive attitude and try to surround myself with positive people, I don't dwell on my troubles - after all, my blogging name is Mrs. Brightside!!  So what could be the problem?

I am happy I found a job, I believe I will be good at this job, I like the people.  However,  I am frustrated by the training process.  Everyone keeps saying how much there is to learn, they keep "showing" me things.  I ask to do it, be hands on with the computer, but they just jump in and do it or stand behind me pointing at the screen so that I am not thinking my way through the steps and learning them.  Or, it has been super slow during the times I have been working and there have not been opportunities to learn different things.  I read and re-read the written instructions, but it just isn't the same as actually going through the steps on the computer - seeing where the  forms need to be filled in, where to click, which file things are in, etc.  Also different people I train with tell me different things.

So when I asked how I was doing and I was told I need to speed up, I felt bad.   I think my self esteem is suffering a lot.  I usually learn things quickly and impress people, in this job that is not happening.  It isn't that they seem upset, but they did add another training day to my schedule. 

According to the article, I need to take responsibility for these feelings, set achievable goals and not compare myself to others (the other new hire has worked in vet care for 12 years!)  Certainly, the answer is not to skip the gym and eat too much.  Why is that always the fallback response? 

Hum.  Maybe I do dwell in the negative a bit more than I care to admit.  I talk a better game than I live.  I need to live up to my talk.  Set my goals and stick with them for the job and for my healthy lifestyle.

4 comments:

Karen said...

That sounds so frustrating. I hope you don't let it get you down. And shame on them - they should know that the vast majority of people learn best by doing. I hope things improve soon:)

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Training for a job is always frustrating. Hang in there, the transition period will be over soon!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new job! Shame on them for not knowing the most effective training (I hate that term, sounds more appropriate for animals) methods.

I can't imagine going to a new position -- especially where I wasn't in charge (talk about esteem issues...) Even then, change was always very difficult.

From your blog and writing, you obviously are a very competent and strong woman. Reinforcing what Cammy said about hanging in there!

Jan

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

There is no substitute for doing. You need more training because they're not training you right.

I know you're going to be terrific. I love your confidence--it jumps off the page.