Tuesday, October 12, 2010

BACK ON

I am back online and getting back on plan.  I had the experience many people talk about - I was away from blogging, reading blogs and surfing the net for over a week.  It was odd at first,  I felt a bit remiss, like I neglected to say goodbye before leaving on a long trip or something.  Then I just sort of went on with life.  Life does that.  It fills in around the empty spaces of time and then they aren't empty anymore.

We had a lovely trip for our anniversary.  We went back to the little inn where we stayed for our first anniversary 25 years before.  It is much more upscale now and we enjoyed the very good food in the dining room and the short stumble up the stairs to our spacious room after significant quantities of wine.  The weather was fabulous - warm and sunny.  We hiked around and found places on the beaches and bluffs to camp out in the sun with our books, watching the birds riding the up currents of air and enjoyed a coral colored sunset.

I was not "on plan" in the least.  I had a taste of how I might live when I am not counting calories and living by my current rules.  My husband has been very supportive of my diet plan, but he has been a bit bothered by my not drinking when we've gone out in the last 6 months.  I had both cocktails and wine on this trip.  I had bread which was not whole grain, I ate some home fried potatoes, we shared a dessert one night and I had a pastry for breakfast one morning. 

The pastry choice as a real splurge - there was not a whole grain option and pastries were the only thing available.  The other things I ate just a bit and enjoyed the taste.  I left food on my plate from the two breakfast meals.  Dinner options were great and I had "light" choices and I ate every delicious bite.  The night of much wine following cocktails I ate more bread than I normally would -  it was GOOD bread and the excuse in my head, of course, was it would sop up the alcohol!  I didn't have a hangover in the morning - but I think that is luck - not bread!

But we walked a lot and climbed up and down the cliff to get to and from the beach. My husband is not one to just sit around when we are travelling, but we did have a very relaxing time.

So now I am getting back on plan.  Oatmeal with berries for breakfast as soon as I finish this post.  Glad to be back online and looking forward to catching up with everyone.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to live:) I wonder what live will look like when I can eat well most of the time and enjoy some splurges in moderation.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

It sounds like a great trip. My husband is not a sitter-arounder either.

I think a little break once in a while is a good thing--as long as you can get back on track.

Jen on the Edge said...

Welcome back.

Going off plan isn't the end of the world and it sounds like you enjoyed yourself in moderation.

Wenderina said...

Sometimes a forced break from the surreal blogging world (and too real dieting) is a good thing. Happy Anniversary. This week we hit 21 years. Where does the time go?

Lori R. said...

Glad to see you are back and sounds like you had a wonderful getaway... Back on track,,, good for you!!!