Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A NEW RECIPE

I have not been inspired to write much about my progress - there has not been much of that lately.  I have been firmly in a 3-4 pound see-saw for a month.  I have to get myself back to the gym more than 3 times a week and cut out the extra calories I have been eating.  I can't really blame it on the work schedule.  I think it is just overall boredom and the need to shake things up and get motivated again.

I have been cooking some new things in response to the boredom an this recipe was really tasty and  fairly low calorie.


It would have looked better with the scallions!
STIR-FRIED GINGER TOMATO BEEF

12 oz lean flank steak
2 T minced ginger
1 T soy sauce
2 T rice wine or dry sherry
2 t cornstarch
3/4 t sugar
1/2 t salt
1/4 t ground pepper
3 t toasted sesame oil
1 t dark soy sauce (I used regular)
1 T peanut or veg oil
1 14.5 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
4 scallions, halved length wise and cut into 2-inch sections ( which I forgot to use!)

Slice thin pieces of flank steak across the grain.  (The flank steak is easy to cut when it is slightly frozen. Flank steak can be tough, so the thinner the better.)

In a medium bowl, combine the beef, ginger, 1 T soy sauce, 1 T rice wine, cornstarch, 1/4 t of the sugar, salt and pepper.Stir to combine.  Stir in 1 t of the sesame oil.

In a small bowl combine the dark soy sauce, the remaining 1 T rice wine and the remaining 2 t sesame oil.

Heat a 14 inch flat bottomed wok or 12 inch skillet over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 or 2 seconds of contact.  Swirl in the cooking oil and then add the beef.  Spread the slices out so they are in one layer in the pan.  Let the beef stay undisturbed in the pan for about 1 minute, letting the beef begin to sear. Then use a spatula or tongs to turn the pieces so the other side can brown, too.  Remove from the pan.  Add the can of tomatoes with the juice to the pan, sprinkle with the remaining sugar and bring to a boil.  Break the tomatoes into 2 or 3 pieces.  Swirl in the remaining soy mixture and then add the beef back to the pan.  Add the scallions and cook for 3 minutes or just until the beef is heated through and the sauce is slightly thickened.  (I found the sauce pretty watery.  If you want the sauce to be thicker, add 1 t cornstarch to the soy mixture added to the tomatoes.)

I served this over brown rice.

Per serving (w/o rice)
473 calories
38g protein
16 g carbs
28 g fat
3 g fiber

I think this could be made lower in fat by reducing the sesame oil and increasing the ginger to make up for the flavor. 

1 comment:

PeacefulBird said...

It must be difficult to be a cook at heart, to love to cook, to love to give the gift of food... while at the same time trying to keep the body mass under control. I give you great credit for every baby step you take in trying to do both!