Monday, October 18, 2010

WORKING LATE

I need advice and wisdom on how to deal with the nights I work.  I leave for work at about 4:30 pm.  I usually eat lunch and then a large snack before I go to work.  I take something I can eat quickly and discretely during the evening as I do not get an actual dinner break.  I have taken things like salad or fruit, cheese and whole wheat crackers.  I also take an Atkins bar in case I am really hungry or want something a bit sweet.

I generally eat my "dinner" in two parts during the night before I leave at 1 am.  When I get home, I have a cup of tea to unwind.  I am frequently very hungry again by this time.  I have tried going to bed hungry.  I have tried having a little whole grain cereal or an Atkins bar but what I am really craving is some major carbs.  I realize that is because this is a comfort food for me and I and trying to de-stress from work and get settled enough that I can go to sleep - so this have been a slip sliding area a couple of times.

So - what to do in the middle of the night?  If I save calories for it, I think I will really be hungry during the day but having veggies in the middle of he night is not going to satisfy part of the "hunger" going on.  I don't sleep late enough the next day to make up for the "late night meal."  Do I just make allowances for extra calories 3 nights a week? 

4 comments:

Karen said...

When I know I am going to come home potentially hungry, I pack a healthy snack in the car. I have a little thermos bag that works great. I choose things like sliced peppers and cheese. Easy enough to eat and filling enough. Satisfying if I am hungry, although not what I would crave. This would not be the food I would "want" if I was already home but having it on the way fills me just enough so that when I do get home I don't need to eat. Not sure it will help with the emotional part of the cravings though.

Jen on the Edge said...

What kind of carbs are you craving late at night? Is there something healthy you would be satisfied with?

If you can find a way to work in the calories three nights a week, it sounds like you need them late at night.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I would try to eat something in the car on the way home--I find Fiber One bars to be both delicious and filling and have found that I can actually be satisfied with only 1/2 of one in a situation like you're describing.

But you have to eat before you go to sleep--I know I would.

I just looked at Karen's comment as I was typing. She has the same idea I do--don't come home hungry.

Anonymous said...

No break for dinner, sounds like a sure setup for bring hungry when you get home. I'm gonna suggest getting in protein during whatever break you have. In addition to the Atkins bar, some almonds and cheese (I learned during my backpacking days that hard cheese can unrefrigerated for a while with no problems). When you get home, don't go to bed hungry. Get a ritual going with your hot tea and something else flavorful and on plan to enjoy while you wind down. Working odd hours is a factor in weight issues, my guess is screwing with the body's stress reaction and cortisol release. All the more reason to be kind to your body.
Jan