Saturday, July 10, 2010

BAGGY CLOTHES



I have always loved clothes and fashion. One of the most frustrating things about being overweight is the shopping. the clothes are so limited and ugly and poorly made. I have long felt that the dregs of the fabric industry are saved for the plus size manufacturers because it is so rare to find an attractive print.

Anyhow, I look forward to the day when I can shop the whole store and not one tiny "department." I really look forward to the day when shopping online for clothes is something I choose to do instead of the only option. Right now I am in a strange clothes phase. I have posted before about taking in my pants. I have done it a lot...the front pockets are starting to migrate toward the back! But that's OK.



It's the tops I am troubled with. I have a lot of polo shirts and short sleeved cotton blouses which are not suited to being taken in. But when I shop for new ones, they feel skimpy. I know the shirts I am wearing are really baggy and unattractive, but I can't seem to find anything that fits right. I must be between sizes, or the shirts are just not cut with the right proportions for me. I agree with Stacy and Clinton of What Not to Wear that oversize clothes make you look bigger, but I also don't want my clothes to be tight. Skimming the body, maybe. Some space between me and the fabric, definitely!

I have a few tops that I save for going out because they still fit pretty well. Not quite so baggy, yet. And I have some old ones boxed away that I still don't quite fit back into - I tried some on this morning just to see.

Maybe by fall my weight loss and the clothes in the stores will make for a better fit!

3 comments:

Karen@WaistingTime said...

I am sure it is frustrating but how nice to see the changes in your body that are leading the this frustration! I was just thinking of that show the other day. (Actually, the original British version since I had seen those gals on Oprah.) Because I dress so sloppy all the time and I am sure someone looks at me and just wonders.

Sarah@LowStressWeightLoss said...

I tend to wear the baggy stuff far too long and then feel really self-conscious when I'm in "fitting" clothes again.

But the tight pants are always a big motivator for me, so I often will find at least one wearable - but not comfortable - pair to put into regular rotation, because I LOVE when they start to fit!

PeacefulBird said...

For many years, I've been between size 18 or XL and the plus sizes, where shopping for clothes is a terrible frustration. Hang in there, you'll soon be shopping the whole store!!! In the meantime, well, maybe it's OK to be wearing baggy clothes. If/when you buy something that seems too tight, wear it at home for a while to break it in and get used to a cloth touching your body.