Thursday, July 22, 2010

WEIGHT GAIN AND UNEMPLOYMENT

One of the first things I thought of when I lost my job 16 months ago was that I would have more time to devote to the gym and getting healthy.  I was on my feet much of my work day and I enjoyed that.  I had started to get up early and go to the gym before work a few days a week, but the stresses of the job were hard on me.  And I am an emotional eater - so the pounds stayed put.  At least I wasn't gaining.

But the bright side of unemployment didn't manifest for me - and apparently they don't for many unemployed Americans.  Forbes magazine reports that the unemployment rate may just be a contributing factor to the rising obesity rate.  When the unemployment rate was 6% the obesity rate was 33.8%, by 2009 the unemployment rate climbed to 9.7% and the obesity rate climbed with it to 34%.

One woman interviewed said "It was an easy decision to cancel my (gym) membership," she planned to run outside and do more yoga videos in order to keep in shape. "But almost six months later I've packed on 15 pounds and the running shoes I bought to encourage myself to run are still in the box."  She also admitted to snacking a lot more.  "I probably consumed my weight in Wheat Thins each week."

I didn't quit my gym membership and I continued to go at least a few times a week, but I wasn't working very hard.  I grew more depressed and was eating more and didn't feel my best.  By the end of the year I had reached my all time highest weight.  I kept watching the numbers on the scale climb, almost as if  I was daring myself to go higher and higher.  I finally realized that my feelings were not normal and went to the doctor and asked for a referral for counseling. 

That turned things around.  Admitting that I was depressed and that I wasn't being rational got me on the road to being healthy.  There are so many people out there who are unemployed, depressed, lost in their sad feelings about their situation.  Trying to save money by not eating the healthiest food choices.  Sitting in front the computer all day, not getting out and getting exercise.  Eating "treats" to make themselves feel better.  I know, I was there a year ago. 

I hope that those people get the chance I did to break out of that depression and get moving and get healthy.  Unemployment sucks.  No doubt about it.  Feeling better about yourself, however, rocks!

3 comments:

shrink on the couch said...

I can relate. I am one of those who eats more when I'm down. I can't personally relate to losing weight when depressed. I think I'm somewhat addicted to the high from eating sweet treats (or salty). A down or stressed mood just makes me crave it more.

Karen@WaistingTime said...

I know my circumstances are very different, since I am unemployed by choice, but I have often asked myself why, if I don't have a job, I am not in the best shape of my life. Seems I should be working out for hours each day, kicking butt. Hmm.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Interesting! I hadn't read those statistics!

I'm at 14-15 months unemployed, but so far I'm still with my healthier living program. Part of that success is the circumstances around my job loss (nice comfy severance, assistance with health benefits, etc.) and no significant financial stress. If I face that in the future, my situation may change. I'll try to remember this article and watch out for any creeping...