Thursday, July 8, 2010

FOOD FANTASIES



I bought a 2 pound container of blueberries at a great price the other day. They are that perfect sweet/tart and juicy and I am enjoying them for breakfast with my low carb cereal.

My fantasy is to take that big container of blueberries and make a delicious blueberry crisp. Every time I open the refrigerator and see that nice big container I think of a blueberry crisp. Something about the abundance of blueberries gets my mind going...so from now on, I am only buying blueberries in smaller containers because that does not seem to stir up the same desires. It is so odd the way the mind works.

I was thinking about this when I was grocery shopping. As I walked the aisles I thought What would I buy if I could eat anything I wanted with no repercussions, no guilt? I thought of sweet things. And chocolate things. I looked at the breads. I considered chips and crackers and the things I could dip and spread on them. I looked into the bakery and through the freezer cases. And, yes, some of my old friends beckoned. I saw those Hagen Daaz bars and gave some thought to polenta.

Weird thing is? Nothing stood out. There was nothing that seemed to be that one perfect thing. Here I was giving myself permission (in my mind) to pick the "ultimate cheat" - and there was nothing I especially wanted.

Like I said - so odd.


Or is it just me?

5 comments:

Karen@WaistingTime said...

Just you! I could think of many, many things I would eat. Sadly. However, I am eating a lot of blueberries and until I read this had not thought about a crisp at all! Or blueberry muffins:(

Sarah@LowStressWeightLoss said...

I tried dramatically reducing my carb consumption last year and for the first time in my life actually had to reign in fruit & veggies. Not avoid them entirely, but suddenly they were not free-for-all, as-much-as-I-wanted foods.

Strangely, I found that I can be satisfied with much less. Before I'd always been an overeater. I overate bad stuff when I was off plan, and I overate veggies when I was 'on plan'. The new way of eating made me break that, and it was a great lesson. Now I can have a small amount of blueberries, strawberries, etc & stop & be satisfied.

On Monday I surprised myself because I had a nectarine & ended up only eating half, because half was enough! Weird, but Progress!

PeacefulBird said...

I've spent COUNTLESS HOURS roaming the isles of grocery stores looking for "that perfect something," which most often turned out to be something hurridly eaten in the car, barely tasted and not satisfying. Now that I've identified my binge foods and abstain from them, my visits to the grocery store are 99% less stressful, less frequent and they take much less time when I do go. I just wouldn't entertain your question any more... and it feels pretty darn good!

PeacefulBird said...

But I forgot to mention... blueberries and that luscious picture on your post... They call me like that too... I think of them as a trigger food and, like you, am a bit wary, especially of the larger boxes. Good for you that you recognize that and stick with the smaller units!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Potato chips and onion dip. Hands down, no contest.

I don't touch chips at all--it's just better that way.