Wednesday, July 28, 2010

CARBO LOADING - A RECIPE!

In an attempt to help Tom with his pre-Century ride nutrition, I was serving more carbohydrate laden meals than I have been in some time.  I found a new recipe that I thought I would share as it was not only very tasty, but low fat for those not concerned with their carbs.

Me, on the other hand, I got a little too involved in the carbo loading and didn't lose any weight last week - so it is back to basics for me - Geez it is amazing how fast I start craving the bread and pasta once I get a taste!


Salmon, Asparagus and Orzo Salad with Lemon Dill Vinaigrette

1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3 inch pieces
1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
1-1/4 pound salmon filet
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion

Lemon-Dill Vinaigrette

1/3 cup ( 1.3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1 T chopped fresh dill
3 T fresh lemon juice
2 t extra virgin olive oil
1/4 t each salt and pepper

 Combine all ingredients.

1.  Bring large pan of water to boil.  Add asparagus and cook until crisp/tender, about 3 minutes.  Remove from water with tongs or a slotted spoon and plunge into iced water to stop cooking.  Drain and set aside.

2.  In remaining boiling water, cook orzo without added salt or fat.  Orzo should remain al dente.  Drain and place in large bowl when done.

3.  While orzo cooks, season salmon with salt and pepper.  Cook under broiler or on grill (using foil to avoid grill marks) until fish flakes easily, about 5 minutes.  Using 2 forks, break fish into large chunks.

4.  Combine fish, orzo, onion, asparagus and dressing in bowl, toss gently to coat.

I served this at room temperature.  I think it would also be good if all the ingredients were made in advance, cooled and tossed together at serving time.  Leftovers the next day were good, but a little bit dry.  A fresh squeeze of lemon brightened them up!

Six servings (1 1/4 cup each)
353 calories
15 fat
25.8 carb
27.4 protein

2 comments:

Karen@WaistingTime said...

During running season my son wanted spaghetti a lot. So not on my plan. But since he will only eat it with meat sauce I got to the point where I ate just the sauce (pretty thick) with a huge side of veggies. I love orzo:)

Tami said...

Oh my, this recipe is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing.