Monday, July 19, 2010

SCIENTIFIC PROOF LIFE IS NOT FAIR!

I loved the twists in the article I read in the NY Times about diet and exercise.  There has been some question about just how valuable exercise is when dieting.  Mostly because exercise at the level most of us actually participate, we just doesn't burn that many calories.

“In general, exercise by itself is pretty useless for weight loss,” says Eric Ravussin, a professor at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, La., and an expert on weight loss. It’s especially useless because people often end up consuming more calories when they exercise.

“The body aims for homeostasis,”wrote Barry Braun, an associate professor of kinesiology at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, in the American College of Sports Medicine’s February newsletter. It likes to remain at whatever weight it’s used to. So even small changes in energy balance can produce rapid changes in certain hormones associated with appetite, particularly acylated ghrelin, which is known to increase the desire for food, as well as insulin and leptin, hormones that affect how the body burns fuel."

Here's where it gets unfair:

In physiological terms, the results of one study “are consistent with the paradigm that mechanisms to maintain body fat are more effective in women,” Braun and his colleagues wrote. In practical terms, the results are scientific proof that life is unfair. Female bodies, inspired almost certainly “by a biological need to maintain energy stores for reproduction,” Braun says, fight hard to hold on to every ounce of fat.

On the other hand, if you can somehow pry off the pounds, exercise may be the most important element in keeping the weight off. “When you look at the results in the National Weight Control Registry,” Braun says, “you see over and over that exercise is one constant among people who’ve maintained their weight loss.”


At least the very latest science about exercise and weight loss has a gentler tone and a more achievable goal that the study that came out suggesting women needed vigorous exercise an hour a day, every day to maintain weight. “Emerging evidence suggests that ­unlike bouts of moderate-vigorous activity, low-intensity ambulation, standing, etc., may contribute to daily energy expenditure without triggering the caloric compensation effect,” Braun wrote in the American College of Sports Medicine newsletter.

In a study Braun just completed in his energy/metabolism lab, volunteers spent a day sitting and then a day standing.  The volunteers who stood all day not doing anything in particular, metabolised  a significant number of calories without triggering their appetite hormones.  So you don't necessarily have to get on a treadmill, just get off the chair more!

5 comments:

Karen@WaistingTime said...

I read once that fidgeting burns calories:)

shrink on the couch said...

Reminds me of the finding that general activity level is more of a predictor of lower body weight than level or frequency of exercise. Told me to focus more on being active in the course of the day - take the stairs, get it myself instead of asking my kids to get it for me, get off the couch and move during commercials (I know, pathetic, right?) than on strenuous exercise.

Also reminds me of a detailed article I read, maybe a year ago (Newsweek, maybe?) on the biology of fat cells. Basically, they sound more resilient than cock roaches. Once fat cells multiply with weight gain, they don't go away, and when they shrink through weight loss, they become the silent scream for food "feeeeeed meeeeeeee." Plays a role in our "set point." I was so damned depressed after reading that.

So hooray for any science that leads me to believe weight loss is not the impossible dream.

Tami said...

I find that exercise is a key in losing fat and keeping it off. Not to mention how great it is for my emotional self.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I was losing weight faster more when I was standing all day teaching than I am right now when I am exercising a lot more, but not on my feet the rest of the time. Interesting.

Sarah@LowStressWeightLoss said...

Interesting article, thanks for sharing!

I've followed the science on exercise for a while now - I think it's helpful for a lot of things for health, but I'm now pretty skeptical that exercise directly reduces weight

I blogged about it not too long ago :
http://lowstressweightloss.com/blog/conflicting-views-of-exercise/424