Wednesday, December 1, 2010

MY BIRTHDAY LUNCH

I had one of those interesting experiences I think we all have after working on our diets for some time.  It is my birthday and my sister took me out for a nice lunch.  I have been diligent about following my rules and making very good choices and intended to do so today.

Then the waiter described the risotto special.  I love risotto.  No one else in my family likes it, so I never make it at home anymore.  I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I had risotto - and the special was made with saffron and shrimp.  I looked through the entire menu and decided.  I am having the risotto. 

I was relieved when it arrived and it was a small serving.  (It flitted through my mind that I would have been annoyed in years past. But in years past I would have been taking advantage of the basket of amazing breads on the table.)  I took one bite and I knew it was not only the right choice for a special lunch, it was worth breaking the no white rice rule!  OMG.  It was so good. 

And guess what?  I couldn't finish it.  I got full and I stopped eating.  That certainly wouldn't have happened in years past!

3 comments:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Happy Birthday! Risotto definitely sounds like a lovely birthday choice! A *little* splurgey, but high quality splurgey--not a box of snack cakes. :)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

How wonderful!

I love risotto, too and I make some great ones. If you ever come down this way I'll cook some up and we can eat it with a great big salad.

Jen on the Edge said...

Happy belated birthday.

My husband and I went to lunch on Friday and I got mushroom risotto. My rule of thumb for restaurants is to never clear my plate. Depending on the portion size, I'll around half. On Friday, I had part of my salad and shared the rest with Pete, then had part of my risotto and shared there rest with him. No dessert, but I didn't want any either, so didn't feel deprived.