Friday, May 14, 2010

LEAVING ON A JET PLANE


This week has been full of ups and downs. I guess no matter how prepared I am for a trip, I still feel the stress. I have been on and off my plan all week, but, surprisingly, I have still reached my goal for the week.


It made me think about a list of tips I read recently that included a "cheat day" every week. I have never really understood the concept of that because I know that I am likely to take a cheat day and turn it into a cheat week! The idea behind it was not so much to allow for indulgence of cravings, but to allow for a flux in calorie intake which keeps the metabolism off balance.

I have no idea if there is any science behind it, and it it seems more likely to be effective for those who are maintaining weight than on a weight loss regime. For me it has been a relief to know that I won't automatically gain if I have a few days where my calorie count creeps up! Especially since I plan to enjoy some cocktails and nice meals while in Philly over the next few days.


We keep reminding Maggie that we are there to see her graduate, not to eat gourmet meals, but she has been chafing over our request that she find moderately priced restaurants for our meals - she is a foodie and loves the higher end places... after 41/2 months of bars, shakes and the like, I will be thrilled with pretty much anything!
Especially seeing her!

2 comments:

Karen@WaistingTime said...

I think there is something to the whole idea of varying your calorie intake. For me, it would be best I think to just eat more one day and less another, but not "cheat" with off plan food. For exactly the reason you say! But others seem to do very well with that one cheat day per week and it keeps them on track the rest of the time. Have a great trip:)

Round (sarah) said...

I agree with Karen that the idea of zig-zagging your calories seems to be a good one - from what I've read & from my experience with calorie counting that worked. Weight Watchers does it with the "weekly points" concept too, by the way.

I do think that for many people (maybe most) that the idea of a "cheat day" is really dangerous. Both for the reason you say - can turn into a week, and also because some of us can easily undo a good week with one day of overindulgence.

Personally I take a middle road - I don't do planned cheat days and when I do go off plan it's for that particular food, or sometimes a meal or a special event (dinner plus breakfast) but I'm someone who's able to do that and get right back on track. I've seen a ton of people take one small detour and wake up 3 months & 30 pounds later...