Thursday, May 20, 2010

PHOTO OP


I, like many of us who struggle with our weight, shy away from having my picture taken. I just find that the image does not match how I feel I look. So I avoid it. Denial? Yes. Better than self hatred, though.


But I got curious this morning. I did pose for pictures during my daughter's graduation trip and I wanted to see how they looked compared with the last photos I have of myself, which happen to be from last summer. And 59 pounds ago.




The reason I was curious is I realize I do have this tendency to think I look "better" than I actually do. I was feeling very slim on my trip, then I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror and was surprised to see how big I still looked. I still have a long way to go to get into a more normal weight range.


But there is no doubt that I look much better than I did last summer. I am much more fit. I remember when we went to Chez Panisse in Berkeley that I was huffing and puffing walking back to our car which was parked uphill from the restaurant. It alarmed my daughter and embarrassed me.
I hope by the time the next big event rolls around that I am even more happy to pose for photos with my family.

5 comments:

Karen@WaistingTime said...

Love the photos. I am so glad you took them. I shied away from the camera for so many years and finally realized that I regretted not being in the old photos, regardless of what I looked like. And that I was cheating my kids out of having me in those memories too.

Jen on the Edge said...

You look great!

Barb Matijevich said...

You look wonderful. And your daughter is so beautiful!

michiganme said...

Love the photo, I think you look happy! I do the same thing - but am getting better at knowing when those moments of self-awareness will be good for me or set me back. I just don't want any reason to feel down & say "to hell with it!" (dress & sweater look nice)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

A huge difference!

You and I have so very much in common--I always feel like I'm looking cute until I catch that glimpse or see a photo.