Sunday, February 14, 2010

EMOTIONAL EATING - PART 1



There are many studies devoted to the connection between emotions and eating. Science has proven that eating a meal alters people's moods and emotions, reduces irritation and has a calming effect. Many of us use food to sooth ourselves or to suppress emotions - when used in this way it is called emotional eating.

Under stress, depression, anxiety - any kind of negative emotions - people often seek the immediate gratification of comfort foods. Studies find it is sweet and fatty foods most often chosen under stress (not to mention larger amounts of food.) For most, it is a temporary lapse. For many, me among them, it is a long term coping device.


Biology plays a part. Not only do sweets taste good, but diet high in carbs releases endorphins and other pleasure stimulating brain chemicals. Stress is reduced, appetite for more is stimulated and a cycle is started that, over time, causes weight gain and recrimination.

My Story



This whole coping mechanism started for me as an adolescent. I am not sure exactly why. I know our aunt came to live with us and she had a severe weight problem. I was repelled by her appearance, yet under her influence a great deal of the time. She would buy "treats" and eat them while out in the car or hide them once home.





I am the the oldest of 5 kids, My position was sort of displaced by my aunt moving in. Plus, I was supposed to finally have my own room, but I ended up sharing it with her.

I think I was ripe for this sort of sense of power. Something I could do for me and not have to share. I was old enough to ride my bike places and buy candy and bring it home and tuck it away just for me to have anytime I wanted. So different than how my mother doled out the occasional sweets. It wasn't large amounts, but it was enough, along with the onset of puberty to bring my weight up and out of the normal range.




By high school my aunt was out of the house, I was very concerned about keeping my weight down and was eating very little most of the time in order to appear "normal" when going out to eat with friends. My emotional eating habits didn't rise up again until college.

More to come...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, This is awesome! Clears up
many contradictions I've heard