Sunday, February 28, 2010

I CALL IT FATDAR


I have a job interview on Monday. I have been trying on clothes ahead of time to see what fits and, happily, I look better in some of my clothes and some need to be taken in a bit. I have a outfit all picked out so I will be less stressed before I head out the door with my resume and references in hand.

Now the only thing I will stress about is whether my interviewer is a secret fattie hater. Because statistically, 43% of employers stigmatize their overweight employees. And that is AFTER they are hired. Considering that there are very few places where there are size discrimination laws on the books, and how hard it is to prove, the likelihood of running into an interviewer with a bias is pretty high.


This Study published by the Yale Rudd Center may explain why:




Research to date suggests that the most common stereotypes about obese employees include views that they are less conscientious, less agreeable, less emotionally stable, and less extraverted that their normal-weight counterparts. To investigate the validity of common stereotypes about overweight job applicants and employees, Roehling and colleagues conducted two studies to examine the relationship between body weight and four relevant personality traits (conscientiousness, agreeableness, emotional stability, and extraversion.) --- No evidence was found for differences in personality characteristics based on weight. These findings help challenge commonly held stereotypes about negative personality traits of overweight employees. ---


Other employers who have openly discussed their reasons for not hiring overweight applicants have listed more basic reasons having to do with their own "experience." One man stated that fat people were weak - unable to resist food, thus weak minded. One woman said they were lazy, and didn't work as hard as thin people. Another suggested that a successful lifestyle meant you would be thin which equalled a successful employee. So, they interview you and they hire someone else who may or may not be a better employee and that is okay with the world right now.


I had a great phone interview, I also made it past the age hurdle. I am very hopeful that this next step will be as positive. I will not assume, if I am not offered a job, that it is my weight as I do not have specific prior experience of the job.


What I do have, kind of like what some women call gaydar, is fatdar. I can tell when I am being judged. I will know.

2 comments:

WaistingTime said...

Good luck! I will share this story with you... many years ago I worked as a recruiter. Our waiting area had chairs with built in wrap around desks so that applicants could fill out paperwork. One day we had a young man come in who was too big to fit. We were horrified that we had never thought of the implications of this set up in a Human Resources department! It was not bias... just ignorance.

Jen on the Edge said...

Good luck with the interview!