Tuesday, June 22, 2010

THE NUMBERS GAME


So the numbers are the story this week. I tried the heart rate monitor this morning during my workout. I decided to just do my 40 minute routine on the Nu-Step without looking up the charts so I could see what my actual rates have been without pushing toward a specific target.


For my age I should be aiming to work out (for weight loss) in the 99-148 range. I was working out in the range of 86-89 through most of my workout. When I did some high intensity intervals, I went up into the 100 range.


So this means that I need to get my intensity up during the entirety of my workout. I have been working at about 55% and I need to aim for 75% of my maximum heart rate. Tomorrow I am going to do 30-40 minutes on the rowing machine. My heart rate should be higher as it is a much harder work out for me.


But the numbers will tell...

2 comments:

Karen@WaistingTime said...

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I know that I needed to push more too when I first tried using a monitor while bike riding. Except for hills - those got me above my target! I am a firm believer in interval training and you might consider varying your workout so your heart rate goes up but also you have some recovery. For me, it is easier to work harder that way.

Anonymous said...

Heart rate monitors are great for upping your intensity

i do a lot of interval cardio - pushing myself to the MAX for 1 minute then recovering... I can really see progress in cardio capacity