Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A NEW LIFE?


Since I started this effort to get fit early this year, I have lost 61 pounds. I was watching a commercial for Jenny Craig (or one of those diet programs) and a woman who had lost about that much weight and looked to be about a size 4 was talking about how she loves her "new life."


Those of us who are very much larger and have a lot more than 60 pounds to lose to get to a healthy weight can look at that commercial and think - well, a lot of things!! One thing would be that we wish we had gotten started on the weight loss when we only had 60 pounds to lose!


My thought was that the commercial is misleading when it suggests that you get a new life if you lose weight. It is really unfair to advertise that way. You get a lot of fabulous benefits, not the least of which is better health and the ability to shop in the 12 fashion departments of the stores and not the tiny little 5 rack Plus Size section hidden in the far reaches of the store next to the Maternity Shop by the Ladies Room.


The reality is that your life goes right along with you on your journey to fitness and a better BMI. Hopefully you will be more energetic and take advantage of more opportunities. You will enjoy the benefits of better health and attractiveness. Spend more money on cute workout clothes and less on take out food. Go on long walks and hikes and bike rides instead of hanging out on the couch.


So the first 60 pounds lost has not given me a new life - but it has shown me how to go about living the life I am living better.

5 comments:

Karen@WaistingTime said...

61 pounds is a major accomplishment! And even though I have never had that much to lose, I agree that it is misleading to thing losing weight gives any of us a new life. I am glad that you have discovered what it DOES give you:)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I have had that same feeling about 20 lbs--why didn't I get serious then. And the fact that I lost 60 and regained 40? Very annoying.

Not much to do, but start from today, though. And I will say that I realized today, as I was on the elliptical, that 15 lbs. makes a tremendous difference--so 60 must make an even bigger one.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Well said! And well done! :) It's true that losing the weight opens up a lot more life, but we've got to do the grabbing...and the dealing when it gets tough.

Anonymous said...

Wow, 61 pounds is great!

I do agree that the whole "new you, new life" thing bugs me.

We're still ourselves when we lose weight, just smaller.

If your life is hard & you're fat, your life will still be hard when you're less fat.

But life is a little easier being a little lighter (and must be considerably better being 61 pounds lighter!)

PeacefulBird said...

Excellent insight!!!! Thank you!!!