Wednesday, June 23, 2010

ROWING GETS MY HEART GOING!

So I strapped on the heart rate monitor again today and within 2 minutes on the rowing machine I had entered my target heart rate zone. What a difference! I rowed for 25 minutes at an average rate of 110 versus an average rate of 88 on the Nu Step in my previous workout.


I am hoping that using this tool, I will make my work outs more effective for my fat loss. I am still hovering at the same weight. I have been good about my calories, so the only other thing I can blame my plateau on is the fact that I had a very tasty Mojito on Sunday at my sister's house. I know better...alcohol slows the metabolism - up to four days according to someone on some TV show! But I was not able to confirm that anywhere in an Internet search. (Research shows it is several hours per drink, depending on what it is.)


Plateaus happen. I am on one. I think I have found a way to kick things up and I am just going to savor the memory of that Mojito and get on with it!

4 comments:

Karen@WaistingTime said...

I just heard a great quote the other day - "No one gets fat from one piece of cake." And no one will blow their diet with one Mojito:) Glad you are savoring the memory instead of feeling guilt and reaching for another.

Tami said...

I read in one of my books that alcohol slows down your metabolism for 48 hours!

Well just move on, it was a choice, no guilt- I love that!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others - forgive yourself & move on

I recently started to up my exercise intensity and I suspect it's having a negative effect on the scale. It's normal, your body will protect itself temporarily.

If you choose to weigh in daily, you can't let yourself freak out very much about the ups, downs and plateaus...

I try to take a longer term view - and while no Mojitos are in my plan this weekend, champagne, wine & other treats are on the menu tonight!

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Oh, I want to try rowing! It really does look like great exercise!

Good for you for checking things out on the heartrate monitor. That whole "perceived exertion" is tricky. On any given day, I can perceive my exertion to be too much, only to find out that I'm at 50%. :)