Monday, March 29, 2010

JUST A TASTE


The headline of the day:

The study, published in the Nature Neuroscience journal, found that when rats consumed a lot of high-fat, high-calorie food, it led to compulsive eating habits - similar to a drug addiction.

Another study that could have saved money by just asking me...or any number of overweight people.


I am sure this story is getting a lot of attention so I will not go through the details, but I will add my experience. Some of us can't eat "what we want" in moderation. My husband is always after me when I turn down foods: "Just have a little", "a bite won't hurt you."


Well, some people can have a little and then move on to the healthy alternatives. Me? When I am off the sugar, the high fat, the rich foods - I need to stay off. One taste and I am drawn back in like an alcoholic back to the bottle, like an addict back to the needle.


My friends and family frequently comment on my will power. Yes. I can be very strong minded when I am off the stuff. But don't ask me to to have just a taste. It is torture. It is why I have spent most of my life fat.

3 comments:

WaistingTime said...

I am the same way! If you are interested, you can read my own take on it at http://waistingtimeblog.com/2010/01/14/skinny-cows-and-other-landmines/

This seems to be a controversial and unpopular opinion. And I know that someday, I will need to learn how to handle moderation. But for now avoidance is working for me.

Walker said...

I'll remember that when you visit, Mama!

Jen on the Edge said...

I'm the same way -- I can't have a bite or else I'll go nuts and eat a lot.