Wednesday, March 24, 2010

MORE, MORE, MORE


The news has been covering the new study which proves that women over 45 must exercise an hour a day JUST TO MAINTAIN their weight. That or eat like a bird, which many older women certainly do. So discouraging for women to hear this when we already struggle to find 30 minutes a day to get exercise.


I am currently exercising about an hour a day 6 days a week (easy to do as I am unemployed right now) and eating about 1200 calories in order to achieve weight loss at a rate which keeps me motivated. I know I can't keep this up, calorie wise. I will need to get my calories up and slow the speed of the weight loss. I think that I will aim to do that after I get under 200 pounds.


I hope hat I will be able to continue the gym routine when I find a job. I am really focused on working close to home and gym so a commute doesn't burn up my time!


In the meantime, I will try not to get too discouraged by this study which makes it clear that this effort will be a lifelong one - I must embrace this as my healthy, life long way of living.

3 comments:

WaistingTime said...

I saw this too, in the paper and on TV. I cut out the article to remind myself to blog about it someday. It was discouraging. But on TV they implied you can include things like housekeeping and gardening as exercise:) They also said the typical person gains a pound a year. Not much for a year, but a lot over time. Sigh

Barb Matijevich said...

It's discouraging but it's just one study. I know plenty of women who don't get near that kind of daily exercise who are nevertheless fit and trim and healthy, good eaters. Well, okay, I know a few. I still believe in moderation in all things. (Now if I could just practice that!)

jenn said...

It's depressing, isn't it? The older I get, the more dramatic a drop in calorie intake it takes to make a difference.