Wednesday, March 10, 2010

WORKOUTS ON THE CLOCK


This morning I enjoyed the benefit of my daughter getting her driver's license. I got up and went directly to the gym at 6:45 instead of waiting to drive her to school first. It was so nice to park easily and the gym was pleasantly uncrowded.


Today I did interval training on the step machine. I read a funny post at Cranky Fitness about interval training suggesting it was like torture, so maybe I don't do it right!
What I do is warm up for 5 minutes, then increase my speed for 60+ seconds to as high/fast as I can, then recover for 1-3 minutes, then repeat. I do this for 30 minutes, then I cool down for 10 minutes.


The benefits of interval training include increased metabolism, increased fat burning and increased cardiovascular fitness. All this in a shorter period of time spent, due to the intensity of the workout. The intensity depends on the individual fitness level. What I could do 6 months ago was much different than what I can do now - and certainly much less that that of an elite athlete! There is a good guide for beginners on Spark People.

1 comment:

Walker said...

Similarly, running-intervals are often called suicides...silly huh? I love them. Keep it up Mama!